Wednesday, August 20, 2014

THEY BETTER NOT SCREW UP DAVID PHELPS


I am a firm believer that young pitchers shouldn't be jerked around from starter to reliever early on in their Major League career. I think it was pretty evident that the decline of Joba Chamberlain and Phil Hughes in the Bronx was because of that.  Now, even when I asked Joba about it point blank, he was too much of a professional to say it happened that way, but I believe it. It's my opinion.


Enter David Phelps, and a good piece in the Bergen Record by Matt Ehart who writes:

"Manager Joe Girardi opened the door for injured starter David Phelps (elbow) to move to the bullpen when he returns from the disabled list...Phelps was starting prior to his injury, the Yankees do not have a need in the rotation, because the current starters are throwing well. They also are holding out hope that starter Masahiro Tanaka will be able to contribute this season. 'I want to make sure everything goes smooth, I don't want to have a setback at this point," Phelps said about his recovery.'" 

Now I love Phelps' attitude... it's important in this whole scenario. If you know anything about David Phelps, you probably learned it here at BYB.  Read EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: DAVID PHELPS  for a terrific interview. Phelps is about hard work and dedication. But he also sees himself as a starter, although, he appreciates the pen:


"David Phelps: I’ve been a starter my whole career. But I found a love for the bullpen though too. I want to be a starter for sure but I have a greater appreciation for the bullpen because of my work there."

Will Phelps do what the Yankees want from him when he's ready to return? Of course, the guy's a gamer, but it's my opinion that they need to put him where he needs to be... starter.  Phelps earned his spot, stepping up big time this season.  While he didn't always get run support, he did a fantastic job before the injury. 

Yes, it's true, the pitching since Phelps even got hurt has been tremendous, so squeezing him back in the starting rotation is tricky, but we gotta keep these guys grounded where they work best.  Yup, I know... I have always believed Phelps was a reliever. That changed for me mid-way through the season.  Phelps earned his spot and earned my trust.

Look, whatever happens, happens.  Phelps is a professional. He'll approached any role the same, with confidence.  Let's hope that the jerking around doesn't mess with his head... that's all I'm saying.

Phelps thinks he's about 3 weeks away from returning. Cross your fingers everything works out. While I'm on the subject... I wonder if Phelps can hit? I kid, I kid.

You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017