Friday, October 24, 2014

BETANCES: THE FUTURE OF YANKEE CLOSERS?


At the end of the 2013 season, the question on everyone's mind was "who will be our closer?" After Mariano Rivera retired, he left some impossibly huge shoes to fill. Admittedly, Yankees fans have been spoiled for years. Rivera finished his career with 652 saves. A record in the MLB. So when 2014 season came around, he had big expectation for whoever stepped in to fill the role.


I'll give David Robertson huge respect. He finished the season with 39 saves, with only 5 blown saves. His 88.6 save percentage is seriously impressive. Despite much of his Houdini like magic tricks, loading up the bases before getting the final out, he managed to really pull through, and had an impressive season. We couldn't possibly ask for more of him. The question now is will Robertson be returning to the Yankees? I like Robertson. I'd like to see him back in pinstripes, in the Bronx. But, if he doesn't, there is always Dellin Betances.


I have been singing Betances' praises since Spring Training. Back then, people told me I was projecting, and foolish. It was too soon to tell. Still, I called Betances the new home town hero, and he performed just as I expected he would. His 1.40 ERA and 22 holds were an incredible addition to the bullpen. He set up Robertson nicely all season. He is an incredibly talented young man, with a lot to offer the team.


It reminds me a lot of the days when Rivera set-up for John Wetteland. I liked Wetteland, and he was a great closer for us. His 1996 season, he gave the Yankees 43 saves, a 91.5 save percentage.


The one two combination of Rivera and Wetteland was impeccable. Much like the one two combination of Betances and Robertson was this season.

Again, I like Robertson. I want him to continue with the Yankees. But I know that there is a possibility he will not return. And while it will make me sad to see him go, I know that Betances, if given the opportunity with continue to flourish. No, I do not expect him to be the next Rivera. There is, after all, only one Sandman, and to compare the two would be unfair to what Rivera has done, and what Betances will do. But I do expect him to be great. It is my opinion that he is the future of Yankee closers. And if this season is any indication of how that will play out for us, I say that we are in good hands. After all, he IS our Hometown Hero.



--Erica Morales BYB Senior Writer 
Twitter: @e_morales1804

 


Autographed Memorabilia Weekend Sale! Spend $300, Get 30% Off at SteinerSports.com, code FRI30



You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017