Friday, December 19, 2014

PHELPS & PRADO SHIPPED OUT OF THE BRONX!


For many, it was a shocker.  My phone was blowing up as I headed into a business meeting.  It was true, Martin Prado and David Phelps were traded to the Marlins.  In return, the Yankees got right hander Nathan Eovaldi, infielder Garrett Jones and right handed pitching prospect Domingo German

The Yankees put out their press release about it:


"...In Eovaldi, the Yankees gain a young, hard-throwing starter to bolster the back of their rotation. The right-hander posted a 3.39 ERA in 2013... 


Jones, a lefty hitter, put together a .246/.309/.411 batting line with 15 homers last year. He was expected to fill in at first base and right field for the Marlins and could do the same for the Yankees, who have injury concerns at those positions with Mark Teixeira and Carlos Beltran... "


 As for German, here's the scouting report:

"German: After making steady progress through the lower levels of the Minor Leagues, German broke out in 2014. In 123 1/3 innings (25 starts) for Class A Greensboro, he went 9-3 and posted a 2.48 ERA, while striking out 113 and walking 25. His year was highlighted by a trip to the SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game, where he struck out Kris Bryant and Joey Gallo in a scoreless inning. German has an easy delivery, allowing him to pound the strike zone with his full arsenal. He throws his fastball in the low- to mid-90s with heavy sinking action that creates plenty of ground-ball outs. His changeup is his best secondary pitch, while his curveball lags behind his other offerings. German is still learning his craft and remains raw, but has the tools to develop into a solid starter in time."


For Martin Prado and David Phelps, I'm disappointed they're gone, but we actually received some decent players in return.  I personally grew fond of Phelps by the end of last season, and as you know, we interviewed Phelps here at BYB. He loved being a Yankee, and wanted to contribute whenever possible:

"BYB: How does it feel to be pitching for the New York Yankees?

David Phelps: When I re-watch my outings and see if everything is moving the way I thought it was and make sure my pitches are what I thought they were, I kind of have to pinch myself when I see myself pitching. When I’m out there I’m more caught up in the moment and let my competitive attitude take it, but when I sit back and say ‘Oh my gosh I’m actually pitching for the Yankees”, it’s everything you could ask for. It’s a first class organization, they treat us fantastic and they put a winning team out there, year after year."

Read the full interview EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: DAVID PHELPS


As for Prado, he was an energetic ball player with a ton of heart and it was evident in his short time in New York. 


He will be missed but I have a feeling this opens the door for some youth at second base... here comes Rob Refsnyder and Jose Pirela.

BYB will have plenty of commentary about this move from many of our writers. Some love this deal. Some hate it.

We have all sides... that's why you come to BYB, isn't it?


 Free 2-Day Shipping from SteinerSports.com with code 2014SHIP

You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017