Saturday, October 3, 2015

BYB: YOUR RELIABLE SOURCE FOR BASEBALL NEWS


The other evening my mother was sharing a story she read on the Internet with my brother.  The story was about Yogi Berra and the origin of the quote, "When you come to a fork in the road, take it."  I asked, "Where did you read that?"  She said, "I don't remember, but it was a really good article."  I said, "Mom, really?  You read it on Bleeding Yankee Blue and I wrote it!"  She completely forgot that it was a piece on BYB.  I actually took it as a compliment.  She didn't remember the information because I wrote it, she remembered it because it was interesting, pithy, impactful and different.  And that is what we try and do here.  We aren't ESPN, The Daily News or YES Network, but we are an alternative news source about the Yankees for Yankee and baseball fans alike.


We bring you cutting edge news nuggets that unveil a unique spin to the everyday news.  I take pride in doing research, checking my facts and providing interesting features to compliment the pervasive news feeds available to fans.  I know you have a choice of what you read, and when you read it and I am glad you read us, and you read me, Suzie Pinstripe.


Being a reliable news source takes a lot of effort, not just because of the time it takes to search for content and information and connect it to the main idea of a story, but because sometimes it's just hard to find the right thing to write about, particularly when your team is not at its best.  What do you do when you don't know what to write about yet you have commitment to write?  You listen.  You listen to your co-workers.  You listen to the news.  You listen to conversations on the street.  You read, a lot.  And you piece something together.


When I went to journalism school, there was one main news source I had to fact check to ensure that my content was accurate.  According to BBC, "The most famous seven words in American journalism - "All the news that's fit to print" - took a permanent place 115 years ago in the upper left corner, or left "ear", of the New York Times masthead. The motto appeared on the daily's front page without notice, commentary or fanfare. In the years since, the phrase has been admired as a timeless statement of purpose, interpreted as a "war cry" for honest journalism, and scoffed at as pretentious, overweening and impossibly vague."  The New York Times screamed accuracy.  When you had to be sure, you checked the Times, even when you went to a school in Boston.  I'm not suggesting that BYB is the like the Times, but I am suggesting that we here at BYB take the utmost pride in our work and conduct ourselves like true journalists who are proud of their craft. We ensure that our words are accurate.


As we head into the final weeks of baseball for 2015, I am pensively reflective of our year of coverage of the Yankees.  No, it didn't have the fanfare of Mo or Jeter's final seasons, nor did it have the excitement of a winning season.  But there are still some highlights and memorable moments including coverage of an amazing season of baseball for Alex Rodriguez and Mark Teixeira, a surprising season for Nathan Eovaldi and Andrew Miller and a promising season for Didi Gregorius, Adam Warren, Greg Bird, and Rob Refsnyder.  I have to believe that no matter how we perform in the post season, we have a lot to look forward to in 2016.  And we will bring it all to you, in a variety of interesting pieces, seven-days a week, 365-days a year because we are BYB: Your Reliable Source for Baseball News.




BYB Hot Stove Columnist
Twitter: @suzieprof





You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store! Follow me on Twitter@BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook! Also, don't forget to check out the BYB Hub!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017